Roast Chicken with Croutons and Wilted Greens
Tossing the croutons in the flavorful pan juices makes them absolutely irresistible.
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 loaf crusty white bread (8 ounces), torn into chunks
- 1 bunch arugula (12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet; rub with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze lemon into cavity; place inside. Roast chicken until juices run clear when pierced between breast and leg or an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of a thigh (avoiding bone) registers 165, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a rimmed platter.
Place bread on sheet; toss with cooking juices. Season with salt. Bake until croutons are golden, 7 minutes. Pour any accumulated juices from platter into a bowl; add croutons, arugula, 1 tablespoon oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Carve chicken and serve with croutons and greens.