Provencal Seafood Pie
Ingredients associated with Mediterranean fish stews -- garlic, fennel, saffron, and seafood -- are brought together in our Provencal potpie, which is served with garlicky aioli; the pie is topped with convenient store-bought puff pastry, whose layers won't overwhelm the lobster, shrimp, bass, and halibut underneath.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, washed well and finely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 2 cups Fumet, or store-bought fish stock
- 3 canned whole peeled plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1 lobster tail, shelled and cut into 1-inch pieces, shell reserved for Fumet
- 6 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved for Fumet
- 6 ounces scallops, tough muscles removed, halved
- 6 ounces striped bass fillet, skinned and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces halibut fillet, skinned and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen puff pastry, such as Dufour, thawed
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- Easy Aioli, for serving
Heat oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek, fennel, and garlic; cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, 6 to 7 minutes. Whisk in stock. Bring to a boil. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add lobster, shrimp, scallops, bass, and halibut; cook 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley. Let cool.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 10-inch square, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out a small vent in center. Transfer stew to an 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with dough, allowing excess to overhang. Transfer to freezer until cold, 20 minutes.
Whisk cream and egg yolk in a small bowl. Brush crust with egg wash. Bake pie on a rimmed baking sheet until crust is golden brown and puffy, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve with aioli.