Spicy Seared Eggplant
Salting the eggplant removes some of its water, which makes for better grilling.
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 pound, cut crosswise into 8 slices, each about 3/4 inch thick
- Coarse salt
- 2 small shallots, sliced crosswise, 1/4-inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sherry-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 4 Gaeta olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for grill
Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt, place in a colander set over a bowl, and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
In a small saucepan over medium heat combine shallots, garlic, sugar, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, and 3 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil, cook 1 minute, and remove from heat. Stir in raisins, capers, olives, and 1/4 cup of olive oil; cool to room temperature.
Heat grill to high and brush grates with vegetable oil. Brush eggplant with remaining 4 teaspoons olive oil. Cook eggplant until charred and tender, turning over halfway through, about 10 minutes.
Arrange eggplant on platter and spoon shallot mixture over top. Cool to room temperature and serve.
Per serving: 243 calories; 2 g protein; 20 g fat; 18 g carb; 5 g fiber.