Under 30 Minutes
Spinach Salad with Mushrooms and Parmesan
Quick homemade rye croutons give an unexpected hit of flavor and crunch to the familiar combination of spinach and mushrooms.
- 2 slices rye sandwich bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 5 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
Make croutons: Preheat oven to 350. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss bread with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake, tossing occasionally, until bread is golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice and remaining oil; season with salt and pepper. Add spinach, mushrooms, and croutons; toss gently, and top with Parmesan.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2007