Beastly Beans with Mango Salsa in Cheddar Cups
The beans and mango salsa can be made up to one day ahead. Refrigerate them separately, covered with plastic wrap.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 12 ounces sharp orange cheddar cheese, grated on the medium holes of a box grater
Whisk together lime juice, oil, cumin, and cayenne (if desired) in a medium bowl. Add beans; toss well to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
Toss together mango, cilantro, scallion, and jalapeno in a medium bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Have a standard muffin tin ready. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese on a nonstick baking sheet to form a rough 3-inch circle. Make 3 more circles. Bake, rotating sheet after 4 minutes, until circles appear lacy and sizzle in middles, 6 to 7 minutes total.
Using a spatula, immediately transfer 1 circle to a cup in muffin tin; gently push down with fingers to form a cup shape. Repeat with remaining circles. Continue forming and baking cheese circles in batches until all cheese is used. Remove cheese cups from tin when cool.
Just before serving, place 1 heaping tablespoon beans and 1 tablespoon mango salsa in each cheddar cup.
SourceHalloween 2004, October Holiday 2004