Maple-Spiced Kettle Corn
Pure maple sugar lends depth and a robust sweetness to this salty-sweet snack.
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple sugar, preferably Highland Sugarworks (gillinghams.com)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper
Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add oil and 3 popcorn kernels; cover. Once they pop, add remaining popcorn kernels; cover, and shake pot. Cook until a few more kernels start to pop.
Add confectioners' sugar, and cook, covered, shaking pot, until kernels stop popping, about 2 minutes. Add maple sugar, and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 seconds, then stir to coat. Transfer to a bowl. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat.