Eggplant Ricotta Bake
This eggplant ricotta bake satisfies a craving for simple comfort food.
- 2 large eggplants (1 to 1 1/4 pounds each), sliced lengthwise 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese (1 2/3 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) store-bought marinara sauce (2 cups)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush lightly on both sides with oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until eggplant is tender and golden, turning halfway through, 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Brush an 8-inch square baking dish with oil.
Lay a fourth of eggplant slices in bottom of prepared dish; spread with half of marinara sauce. Top with another fourth of eggplant; spread with half of ricotta. Repeat layers, ending with ricotta; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake until bubbling and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.