Cheddar-Cornmeal Icebox Crackers
This recipe adapted from "Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook" (Clarkson Potter, 1999).
- Yield: Makes 20 crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup (2 1/2 ounces) finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, cayenne, and nutmeg in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese; pulse until combined. With machine running, add milk; process until dough comes together and is well combined.
Transfer dough to a work surface. Shape dough into a 2-inch-wide log. Wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Slice chilled log into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer slices to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake immediately, rotating sheet once, until crackers are golden brown and firm in the center, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool. Crackers may be made a day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.