Immunity Boosting Soup
This nourishing soup bolsters immunity and helps ease cold and flu symptoms, says herbalist Rosemary Gladstar. Read more about boosting your immunity in Winter Wellness.
- Yield: Makes about 3 quarts
Source: Body+Soul, November/December 2006
- 1 ounce dried astragalus root
- 4 ounces fresh dandelion root, thinly sliced (or 2 ounces dried)
- 4 ounces fresh burdock root, thinly sliced (or 2 ounces dried)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon dried kelp, dulse, or other sea vegetable
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 5 to 8 medium-size fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup miso paste, (any variety)
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and reduce heat. Add astragalus, dandelion, burdock, ginger, and sea vegetable; cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Strain, return broth to pot, and keep over medium heat. In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat; add onion and mushrooms, and saute until tender. Add garlic; saute for a few more minutes. Add entire mixture to broth. Turn off heat, and stir in miso paste.