Skewered Bocconcini Sandwiches
- Yield: Makes 2 dozen
- 30 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 1 ficelle or very thin baguette, cut into forty-eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 12 balls fresh bocconcini (bite-size mozzarella), at room temperature, halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 flat anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat oven to 325 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Skewer 1 bay leaf, 1 slice of bread, 1 piece of cheese, and another bread slice. Continue skewering until 4 sandwiches are formed on each skewer, beginning and ending with a bay leaf. Place skewers on baking sheet. Brush each skewer with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake, turning skewers halfway through, for 7 minutes, or until cheese is warmed through but not melted.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add anchovies, and stir until well combined. Add capers, lemon juice, zest, and parsley. Spoon mixture over skewers. Serve immediately.