Jane's Dirt Cake
Martha's friend Jane Heller serves her dirt cake creatively: She presents the cake in a sterilized terra-cotta pot, then inserts sunflowers (wrap stems in plastic) into the cake for decoration.
- Servings: 15
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1 package Oreo cookies (16 ounces)
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 packages (3.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding
- 4 3/4 cups milk
- 3 recipes Sweetened Whipped Cream, or one 16-ounce carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Candy, for decorating
If using a flowerpot with a drainage hole, reserve 1 cookie to place over hole to prevent leaking. Place remaining cookies in the bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture resembles dirt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and butter, and stir until creamy. Set aside.
In another large bowl, whisk together instant-pudding mixes and milk; stir until well blended. Using a rubber spatula, fold pudding mixture into cream-cheese mixture. Fold in whipped cream.
In a flowerpot or bucket with a 5-quart capacity, alternate layers of cookie "dirt" and pudding mixture, starting and ending with cookie "dirt." Chill at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. Garnish with candy.