Lobster Shepherd's Pies
Individual shepherd's pies can be baked in fluted ramekins, shallow ovenproof casseroles, or even Pyrex bowls.
- Yield: Makes 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2009
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon cut into 4 pats
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 large leeks (about 2 1/2 pounds), white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, rinsed well (6 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Lobster Stock and Meat, 1 cup stock; 3 cups meat, cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs with dill seeds for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover potatoes with water by 2 inches in a medium stockpot. Add 1 tablespoon salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Mash potatoes or pass through a ricer. Stir in 4 tablespoons butter, the milk, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in yolks.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
Stir in flour, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in lobster and dill, and divide among four 10-ounce baking dishes. Top each with 3/4 cup potato mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border, and a butter pat. Garnish with dill sprigs. Bake on a baking sheet until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.