Cucumber Sandwiches with Egg and Mint
These sandwiches are served at afternoon tea at the Savoy in London, courtesy of Anton Edelmann, maitre chef des cuisines.
- 4 slices extra-thin white bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint, leaves picked and finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Set aside. In a small bowl combine eggs, creme fraiche, and mint. Season with salt and pepper. Spread egg mixture to a 1/4-inch thickness on 2 slices bread. Top with sliced cucumber, and cover with the remaining slices of bread. Remove crusts, and cut each sandwich into three equal fingers.