This recipe for caramel frosting, which goes with Dr. Maya Angelou's caramel cake, can be found in her new cookbook, "Hallelujah."
- Yield: Makes enough for one 8-inch cake
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 package (16 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until nut-brown in color, about 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour butter into a bowl, leaving any burned sediment behind; let cool.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add confectioners' sugar, vanilla, salt, and butter. With the mixer on low, slowly add cream; beat until smooth. If frosting seems too thick, stir another tablespoon cream into the mixture.