Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Marcona Almonds
Put fall vegetables to flavorful use in this easy-to-make recipe from chef Laurent Tourondel's "Fresh from the Market" cookbook. Also Try: Roasted Lamb Shoulder Stuffed with Merguez and Swiss Chard
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 small celery root, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 small yam, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 large golden beet, peeled and cut into 6 wedges, leaves reserved for garnish
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and cut into 3 pieces each
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Sage-Garlic Brown Butter, warm
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place both squashes, celery root, yam, beet, turnip, parsnip, and shallots in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; toss to combine.
Evenly spread vegetables in a roasting pan or large rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast until squash and parsnips are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove squash, celery root, yam, and parsnip from roasting pan and set aside on a platter; cover with parchment-paper-lined aluminum foil. Continue roasting beet and turnip 20 minutes more; transfer to platter and cover with foil.
Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Coarsely chop and transfer to a medium bowl with vinegar and brown butter; stir to combine.
Uncover vegetables and drizzle with almond mixture. Garnish with reserved beet leaves and lemon zest.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, October 2010