This condiment is a blend of tomatoes and spices; make a jar and keep it in your refrigerator to add flavor to all of your sandwiches.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 2000
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
In a medium saucepot set over medium heat, heat olive oil, add garlic, ginger, and red onion, and saute until translucent. Add tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Add vinegar, honey, brown sugar, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and star anise.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have dissolved and liquid has evaporated, 60 to 75 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks and star anise before serving. This jam may be stored in an airtight container in the refigerator for up to 2 weeks.