Hot Buttered Rum
This variation on the basic recipe takes advantage of the deep flavor in a good, dark rum, perfectly enhanced by a spiced butter made with brown sugar -- rum's raw material -- and assertive spices such as cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Orange zest adds the exclamation point.
- 4 ounces (1 stick) room-temperature unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 ounces dark rum
- 3 cups boiling water
- Fresh orange juice
Beat butter, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg with a mixer on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.
Combine 2 tablespoons spiced butter with 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) dark rum in each of 4 heatproof glasses. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over each, and stir. Top each with a squeeze of fresh orange juice.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2009