Use this pesto recipe, adapted from chef Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft restaurant, to make his Chicken Breast with Roasted Peppers and Mozzarella. Photo Credit: Bill Bettencourt
- Yield: Makes 1 to 2 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February 2010
- 1 cup packed spinach leaves, rinsed well
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath and set aside. Place spinach leaves and basil in a colander or strainer; pour boiling water over spinach and basil. Immediately transfer to ice-water bath to cool. Squeeze leaves together to extract as much water as possible.
Transfer spinach and basil to the bowl of a food processor along with cheese, garlic, olive oil, and pine nuts. Process until a smooth paste is formed; season with salt and pepper. Use immediately or store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.