Pear, Pistachio, and Ginger Blondies
These familiar bar cookies are made merrier with the spice of candied ginger, the sweetness of dried pear, and the crunch of pistachios.
- Yield: Makes about 1 dozen
Source: Holiday Cookies 2005, Special Issue Holiday 2005
- 9 tablespoons (1 1/8 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried pears (4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped (3 1/4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped candied ginger (1 1/4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan or a round cake pan. Line with parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over sides. Butter parchment; set aside.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low; mix in flour mixture until combined. Mix in pears, pistachios, and candied ginger.
Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 15 minutes. Lift blondie out of pan; transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely; cut into wedges.