Cucumber Ranch Dressing
Ranch dressing pairs up well with sturdy lettuces, not delicate ones, which droop under its heft. Ours also makes a refreshing dip for blanched vegetables such as these mixed beans.
- Yield: Makes 2 1/4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2005
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (about 1 lemon) fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
Stir together cucumber, shallot, sour cream, buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, cayenne, parsley, and chives in a medium bowl. Season with additional salt and cayenne, if desired.