Bolognese Pie with Biscuit Topping
To save some time, you can skip making the biscuit topping in step 2; simply blend a cup of packaged biscuit mix with three large eggs, and proceed with step 3.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2005
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch chunks
- 4 cups leftover Spaghetti with Bolognese Sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make the meat base: Heat oil in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini; cook, stirring, until golden and just beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in leftover Bolognese Sauce until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
Make the biscuit topping: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, thyme, and salt. Using a pastry blender, a fork, or your fingers, work in butter until pea-size clumps form. Stir in milk and cheese until dough just comes together.
Spoon dough over beef mixture in 8 small mounds, about 1 inch apart. Bake until meat mixture is bubbling and topping is golden brown (a toothpick inserted in center of a biscuit should come out clean), about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.