Sausage, Lentil, and Kale Soup
This rustic, savory soup is sure to satisfy.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, December 2009
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 celery stalks (with leafy tops), thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch (about 1/2 pound) kale, preferably Tuscan, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot,
heat oil over medium-high. Add sausage
and cook, breaking up meat with
a wooden spoon, until golden brown,
about 5 minutes. Add celery and onion
and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add lentils, broth, and 1/2 cup water
and bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid
simmer, partially cover, and cook until
lentils and vegetables are tender,
Add kale and season with salt.
Return soup to a rapid simmer, cover,
and cook until kale wilts, about
5 minutes. Remove soup from heat,
stir in vinegar, and season with
salt and pepper.