Tuscan Tomato Soup
Signora Adorni gave Martha her recipe for tomato soup using red, ripe tomatoes from the August garden. Martha uses her home-canned tomatoes all winter with excellent results.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 medium onions, finely minced
- 3 quarts canned tomatoes with juice or 14 large, ripe fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 6 leaves fresh basil, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the oil and butter in a heavy kettle. Cook the carrots, celery, and onions for about 20 minutes, or until very tender. Add the tomatoes and continue cooking over moderate heat for 25 to 30 minutes longer. Stir in the parsley and basil, season with salt and pepper, cook a minute or so longer, and serve hot.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, January 2001