Vegetarian Black-Bean Chili
Talk about quick comfort -- this half-hour chili satisfies like the best of them, especially when topped with your favorite fixings.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October Fall 2007
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 zucchini (about 1 pound total), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (19 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed
In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
Add zucchini, carrots, chili powder, and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, and 1 cup water. Simmer until slightly thickened and carrots are soft, 8 to 10 minutes more.