Curried Chicken Tea Sandwiches
Make these sandwiches as close to serving time as possible, so the avocado doesn't turn brown.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April/May 1994
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Homemade Mayonnaise, or prepared
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole-wheat or multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 avocado, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
Fill a small saute pan with water. Add peppercorns and salt to taste; bring to a boil. Add chicken breast, reduce heat, and poach gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from heat, and let cool.
Coarsely chop chicken. Place in a bowl and combine with mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
Spread chicken mixture on 2 slices of bread. Spread butter on remaining slices. Place avocado slices on chicken mixture, and top with sprouts. Cover with buttered bread. Trim crusts, and cut into quarters.