elebrate the good fortune of a newborn baby with a pair of adorable fortune-cookie-shaped booties from ReMarthable Contest finalist Della Slowik.
Tools and Materials
- Fortune cookie booties template
- Fortune cookie booties visual how-to
- Polar fleece in two contrasting colors
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine with matching thread
- Chopstick (optional)
- Jiffy Grip nonslip fabric
- Bias tape
- June Tailor iron-on quick-fuse canvas sheets for ink-jet printers
Fortune Cookie Baby Booties How-To
1. Download, print, and cut out template. Also download booties visual how-to for helpful pictures of the process. Select polar fleece in two contrasting colors and be sure that pieces are at least 13 inches long by 8 inches wide.
2. With pieces of fleece right sides together, use a marker to trace two copies of the canoe-shaped template directly onto the fabric. To create a right and left bootie, be sure that traced templates are mirror images of each other.
3. With fabric scissors, cut pattern from fabric, being sure to cut through both pieces of fleece at the same time.
4. On a sewing machine, sew pieces together, leaving a 1/8-inch seam allowance. Be sure to leave a 1-inch opening in seam.
5. Using your fingers or a chopstick, turn bootie right side out through the 1-inch seam opening. Sew seam opening closed.
6. Topstitch along the curved edge of the top of the canoe shape, 1/4 of an inch in from the edge. Do this for both booties.
7. To create soles of booties, first trace 2 copies of sole template onto smooth side of a piece of Jiffy Grip nonslip fabric. Sole patterns should be mirror image of each other. With fabric scissors, cut out soles.
8. Sew bias tape around entire edge of each sole.
9. To create fortune, print desired message on Tailor iron-on quick-fuse canvas and cut into 1/2-inch by 3-inch strip. Remove fusible backing from back of canvas and sew fortune into place. To determine correct placement, place each bootie piece with curved edge facing upward. For right bootie, fortune should be sewn to left corner of canoe shape, angling down to right. For left bootie, fortune should be sewn to right corner of canoe shape, angling down to left.
10. To assemble booties, start by placing sole on top of corresponding canoe-shaped piece, lining up center of bottom of canoe shape with center of narrower end of sole. The smooth side of the Jiffy Grip nonslip fabric should be against bootie fabric.
11. Starting at center point and moving fabric in clockwise direction, sew edge of sole to bottom edge of bootie until you reach end of edge.
12. Starting back at center point and moving fabric in counter-clockwise direction, sew remaining edge of sole to remaining edge of bootie, sewing through all layers of fabric, until you reach end of edge.
13. Repeat sewing process for second bootie.
All tools and materials available from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Finished fortune cookie baby booties available on Della's sushibooties Etsy shop.