Meaty, salty pancetta plays up the soft, savory sweetness of vinegar-poached figs.
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries (penzeys.com)
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup dried Black Mission figs, stemmed
- 12 ounces pancetta, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
Bring vinegar, water, sugar, juniper berries, peppercorns, and cloves to a boil in a small saucepan. Add figs, and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, to bring to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer figs to a cutting board using a slotted spoon; cut in half. Wrap a pancetta strip around each half. Transfer, seam side down, to a wire rack set on a baking sheet. Bake until pancetta is browned, about 30 minutes. Secure each with a toothpick. Serve warm.