Thai-Style Steak Salad
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 boneless rib-eye steaks (each 8 ounces and 3/4 inch thick)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 pound carrots (3 to 4 medium)
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-inch ribbons
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts (optional)
- 1/3 cup salted peanuts, chopped (optional)
Make marinade: In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, red-pepper flakes, and oil. Season steaks with salt and pepper; place in a baking dish. Pour 1/4 of marinade over steaks (reserve remaining marinade); turn steaks to coat. Let steaks marinate up to 30 minutes.
In a large skillet, cook steaks on medium-high heat, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board; tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest, 5 to 10 minutes. Slice steaks across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices; halve slices crosswise. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with reserved marinade.
With a vegetable peeler, cut carrots into long ribbons. Add to steak in bowl, along with lettuce and mint; toss to combine. Divide salad among four shallow bowls. Sprinkle with bean sprouts and peanuts, if desired.