- 3 whole chicken breasts, (about 12 ounces each), boned, skinned, and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces small white button mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 ribs celery, strings removed, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally 1/8 inch thick
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- Olive-oil cooking spray
Spray nonstick skillet with olive-oil spray; place over high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook in skillet until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Wipe out skillet, and respray. Add mushrooms, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes; set aside. Reduce heat to low.
Respray skillet; add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic; cover, and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, 7 to 8 minutes. Add wine, and raise heat to high; cook until wine is almost evaporated, about 30 seconds.
Add tomatoes, yellow pepper, rosemary, stock, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; stir to combine. Add chicken and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer chicken until tender, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.