Under 30 Minutes
Serve this brothy dish in shallow bowls over steamed jasmine or basmati rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 plum tomatoes (about 1/2 pound), quartered lengthwise and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, curry powder, and ginger. Cook, stirring to break up paste, until mixture is smooth and fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes to skillet. Cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, about 1 minute. Add 1 1/2 cups water; simmer until tomatoes have slightly broken down, 3 to 5 minutes. Add shrimp; cook until opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add sour cream and lime juice to skillet; stir to combine. Serve hot.
SourceEveryday Food, May/June 2003