Tomato and Shrimp Pasta with Feta
Give tomato sauce a Greek twist by adding Kalamata olives, feta cheese, capers, and oregano.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2009
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- 12 ounces penne rigate or other short ridged pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces feta
Set a large pot of salted water to boil. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic. Cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and oregano. Cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, olives, and capers, if using. Cook, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon, until sauce thickens, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve 2/3 cup tomato sauce for Baked Shrimp.
Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente; drain. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pot and heat over medium-high. Add 3/4 pound shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes. Return pasta to pot and add tomato sauce; stir to combine. Serve pasta topped with 4 ounces crumbled feta.