Under 30 Minutes
Turkey Taco Salad
You can substitute ground beef for the ground turkey. To make a vegetarian salad, leave out the meat and add your favorite canned beans in step two instead.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 1 1/2 cups prepared green salsa
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) shredded cheese, such as white cheddar or Monterey Jack
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add turkey; cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add zucchini, bell pepper, and 1 cup salsa; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and ground pepper. Transfer to a plate, and let cool.
In a large bowl, toss lettuce with tortilla chips, tomatoes, and remaining 1/2 cup salsa and 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer to serving plates, and top with turkey mixture and cheese.
SourceEveryday Food, May 2004