It takes only 10 minutes to assemble this hearty dish; let your slow cooker do the rest.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Kristen Strecker
Source: Everyday Food, December 2004
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 16 thin slices peeled fresh ginger (about 1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt
- 2 packages frozen green peas (10 ounces each)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews (optional, for serving)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (optional, for serving)
In a 5-quart slow cooker, toss chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, and cumin to coat. Season with 2 teaspoons salt. Cover, cook on high setting until chicken is fork-tender, about 4 hours (do not uncover while cooking).
Stir in coconut milk and peas; cover, cook until peas are heated through, about 20 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a large bowl; shred with fork. Return to pot; toss with sauce.
To serve, garnish with 1/2 cup toasted cashews and 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, if desired.