- Yield: Makes enough for 6 small trifles
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2002
- 2 pounds red or yellow fresh cherries, pitted, stems removed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kirsch, (optional)
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
Place cherries, sugar, kirsch (if using), lemon juice, and zest (if using) in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until cherries are tender, about 15 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer cherries to a bowl.
Continue cooking remaining mixture in pan over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour over cherries; let cool. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 day.