Source: Everyday Food, December 2009
- 2 medium peeled russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Sour cream and chives (for serving)
- Apple Sauce (for serving)
Grate potatoes into a large bowl using the large holes on a box grater. Season with a teaspoon coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper and let stand 10 minutes; stir to blend in any liquid. Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high. Drop in rounded tablespoons of potatoes and flatten with a spatula. Cook until golden-brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total, then drain on paper towels. Repeat with more oil and remaining potatoes. Serve with sour cream and chives or applesauce alongside.