Source: Everyday Food, December 2009
- 2 medium peeled russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Sour cream and chives (for serving)
- Apple Sauce (for serving)
Grate potatoes into a large bowl
using the large holes on a box
grater. Season with a teaspoon
coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground
pepper and let stand 10 minutes;
stir to blend in any liquid. Heat vegetable oil in a
nonstick skillet over medium-high.
Drop in rounded tablespoons of
potatoes and flatten with a spatula.
Cook until golden-brown on both
sides, about 5 minutes total, then
drain on paper towels. Repeat with
more oil and remaining potatoes.
Serve with sour cream and chives
or applesauce alongside.