- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- 8 chicken breast cutlets, or 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, split horizontally into 8 cutlets (1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce, homemade or purchased
- 8 slices (1/4-inch-thick) mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh (6 ounces)
Preheat broiler with rack set 4 inches away from the heat source. Combine the breadcrumbs and the Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish. Place the egg in a second shallow dish. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in egg, turning to coat. Transfer to breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat; set aside.
Pour spaghetti sauce into a 10-by-15-inch baking dish, or a rimmed baking sheet. In a large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat. Add half of the chicken, and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain, then place in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
Top each piece of chicken with a slice of mozzarella. Broil until sauce is hot, and mozzarella is melted and lightly browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes.