If you decide to use store-bought applesauce, choose one with a chunky texture.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups Basic Applesauce, or store-bought chunky applesauce
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and honey until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Beat in applesauce.
Generously coat a nonstick 9-inch tube pan with cooking spray. Spoon batter into pan; smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (but slightly wet), 50 to 60 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Turn out of pan onto a cutting board or baking sheet; invert cake onto rack, top side up. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2005