Easy Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
Olive oil and Parmesan cheese offset the bite of the broccoli rabe in this classic pasta dish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli rabe, rinsed, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 or 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; salt generously. Add broccoli rabe. Cook until leaves are wilted, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer broccoli rabe to colander; drain well.
Return water to a boil, and add pasta; cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until soft, 30 seconds, being careful not to brown. Add anchovy fillets, if using, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli rabe; cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add pasta to broccoli rabe mixture; toss to combine, adding reserved cooking water as desired. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve with Parmesan and lemon wedges.