Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce
This modified shakshuka gets smoky flavor from bacon and chipotle chiles.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2005
- 4 slices bacon, cut 1/2 inch thick crosswise
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Add garlic and chiles to rendered fat in skillet; cook, stirring, until garlic is just golden, 30 to 60 seconds. Add tomatoes and juice; simmer over medium heat, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon and stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to low. One at a time, crack eggs into a small bowl or cup, and slide onto sauce in skillet, spacing so that all eggs will fit. Cover; cook very gently until egg whites are just opaque (yolks should still be soft), 6 to 9 minutes.
Spoon into four serving bowls; sprinkle with feta and bacon. Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.