Chicken, Broccoli, and Lemon Stir-Fry
This dish uses a whole lemon, including the rind, which softens during cooking. Be sure to scrub the rind thoroughly before cutting the lemon into thin slices.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Clive Streeter
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November 2005
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, stems peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick, florets separated
- 1 small lemon, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together soy sauce, 3 tablespoons water, vinegar, honey, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Pour half of the mixture into another bowl; reserve. Place chicken in remaining mixture; let marinate 15 minutes.
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add half the chicken; cook, tossing often, until brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Repeat with another 1/2 tablespoon oil and remaining chicken. Wipe skillet with a paper towel.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook broccoli and lemon, tossing often, until broccoli is bright green, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water; cook until broccoli is tender and lemon is translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add reserved marinade, cornstarch mixture, chicken, and any accumulated juices from plate. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring until thickened, 1 minute. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.