Little Boy Blueberry Scones
These lemon-and-berry-laced scones would surely have woken Little Boy Blue from his peaceful slumber in a haystack.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 25
Photography: Tara Donne
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 12 ounces blueberries (about 2 3/4 cups)
- 2 cups plus 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons heavy cream, for egg wash
- Coarse sanding sugar
Mix together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers. (The largest pieces should be the size of small peas.) Toss in blueberries. Pour in cream, and stir until mixture just comes together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and pat into a 1-inch-thick round.
Cut out 25 circles using a 2-inch cookie cutter, piecing together scraps as you work. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush tops of scones with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 28 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with lemon curd.