Strips of lemon and orange zest and fresh oregano perfume this chickpea dish with wonderful aroma. Red-pepper flakes add gentle heat. Serve as an appetizer or side dish.
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 wide strips lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 wide strips orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a medium pot, combine chickpeas, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest, orange juice, garlic, oregano, and red-pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is tender, 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SourceEveryday Food, March 2011