Under 30 Minutes
Classic Spaghetti Puttanesca
Keep these pantry ingredients on hand for this fast, flavorful weeknight dish. Instead of spaghetti, try bucatini or spaghettini.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata or other brined black olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree (from a 15-ounce can)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add grape tomatoes, capers, anchovies, olives, and garlic; cook until fragrant and tomatoes soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomato puree and season with salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes (sauce will be separated).
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta and add to sauce, tossing to combine and adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.