Fusilli with Spinach and Walnut Pesto
The ridges in spiral-cut fusilli are ideal for catching this fresh green sauce. Orecchiette or penne rigate would also work well.
- 1 bunch spinach (about 1 pound), trimmed and washed
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound fusilli
- 1/4 cup shaved pecorino cheese (1 ounce), for serving
Add spinach and 1 tablespoon water to a large skillet set over medium-high. Cook, stirring constantly, until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. In a food processor, combine spinach, walnuts, oil, and lemon zest. Process until mixture forms a smooth paste, scraping down bowl as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 2 cups pasta water; drain pasta. Return pasta to pot and add pesto, tossing to combine and adding enough pasta water to create a sauce that coats pasta. Transfer to a serving plate, top with pecorino, and serve immediately.
SourceEveryday Food, March 2011