Under 30 Minutes
Bread and Shrimp Skewers with Romaine Salad
This twist on a Caesar salad will satisfy kids as well as grown-ups. Lemony shrimp and a bright dressing make the dish a standout.
- 3/4 pound large peeled and deveined frozen shrimp (about 24), thawed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 5 ounces crusty bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 1 hard-cooked egg yolk, mashed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 large hearts romaine lettuce, leaves separated
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, half the garlic, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. In another medium bowl, toss bread with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Thread shrimp and bread onto eight 8-inch wooden or metal skewers. Transfer skewers to a rimmed baking sheet and bake until shrimp is opaque throughout and croutons are golden, 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine remaining garlic, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil, egg yolk, and mustard; season with salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined; stir in Parmesan. Add romaine and toss to coat. Sprinkle salad with more Parmesan and serve alongside skewers.