Couscous and Roasted Carrots with Spiced Meatballs
Capture the flavors of Northern Africa in this simple and flavorful meal. To make the spiced meatballs, use the reserved spice mix from our Spicy Potatoes and Peas with Chicken.
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound ground beef chuck (85 percent lean)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reserved spice mix from Spicy Potatoes and Peas with Chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated, half of each minced and remaining thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss carrots with 2 teaspoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden, 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
In a medium bowl, combine beef, spice mix, cinnamon, cilantro, minced white and green scallions, and egg; season with salt. With hands, gently mix to combine and form into 16 meatballs. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Cook meatballs until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until meatballs are just cooked through, 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add sliced scallion whites and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Add 1 cup water, cover, and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and season with salt and pepper. Cover, remove pan from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork, and stir in almonds and sliced scallion greens. Serve meatballs and any pan juices with couscous, carrots, and lemon wedges.