Caribbean Shrimp Kebabs
Using two skewers per kebab will help keep the shrimp in place when turning them on the grill. To keep shrimp from toughening, marinate no longer than five minutes.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2004
- 32 medium shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 large red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 24 pieces (about 1 1/2 inches each)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- Cilantro Dipping Sauce
Heat grill to high. Assemble 8 kebabs (using 2 short skewers for each), alternating 4 shrimp with 3 pieces of pepper on each. Arrange skewers in a nonmetallic dish.
In a small bowl, whisk together rum, oil, curry powder, allspice, and cayenne. Pour marinade over skewers, and turn to coat. Let stand 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Lightly oil grates. Place skewers on grill; cover grill, and cook until grill marks are visible and shrimp are opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season with more salt, if desired. Serve with sauce.