- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onions (about 3 medium onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- Coarse salt
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, and coriander; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add beef; cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Season generously with salt.