Angel Food Cake
- Yield: Makes one 10-inch cake
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 12 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 3/4 cups sifted granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Macerated strawberries, for serving
Preheat oven to 275 degrees with rack in center. Sift flour four times. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or with a flat wire whisk, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
With machine running, add sugar in a slow, steady stream, beating until fully incorporated and stiff glossy peaks form. Add vanilla and almond extracts, and beat to combine.
Remove from mixer. Gradually add flour, gently but thoroughly folding it into egg-white mixture until fully combined. Pour into an ungreased angel-food-cake pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air bubbles. Bake 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 325 degrees. Bake 30 minutes more. Cool, inverted, 1 hour before removing pan. Serve with macerated berries.